History

The Zoology Department of Rajaram College, Kolhapur was started way back in 1930, as a Biology Department. The department was started in the O`Brien Building. In the year 1960, the Department of Biology was bifurcated into Botany & Zoology. Up to the year 1970, the department was at Laxmipuri, where it was having,

  1. Two laboratories
  2. One lecture hall
  3. Staff room

Though undergraduate classes were conducted in the Department in 1960, under the able guidance of Principal, DR. B. R. Dhekney and Head of the Zoology Department Dr. E. N. Das, a substantial grant was released by the Government of Maharashtra and the post graduation in Zoology was started. The laboratories, equipments and library facilities were more than enough to take up teaching of post graduate classes, but simultaneously came the inception of Shivaji University in Kolhapur. So the plan of post-graduate studies was nipped in the bud, as duplication of post graduate studies in the same town was not considered proper.

In 1970 the Department was shifted to the existing building. The Secretary of Education and Director of Education visited old biology building for spot inspection and sanctioned substantial grant for the museum display cases & other museum specimens. All the efforts were done under the leadership of Dr. E. N. Das and his colleagues, Shri. S. V. Dandekar, Dr. V. Y. Patil, Shri. R. Y. Ghorpade and other members of the teaching staff. The Zoology department was now established with well-equipped laboratories and a beautiful museum.

The Zoology Department is now established with well equipped laboratories and a beautiful museum.