History

Year Establishment : 1927

The Chemistry Department was started in Rajaram High School building in 1927 inaugurated by Resident Lt. Col. Obroyan. Dr. Balkrushna was the Principal of College and Dr. S. V. Shah was Head of the Department. Due to increased student strength in Science wing Chemistry department was shifted to O`Brien building in 1930. First Batch of B. Sc. Chemistry student came out in 1932.

Dr. D. N. Solanki, a distinguished Scientist happens to be a student of this batch. He obtained his Ph. D. from Banaras Hindu University. In 1940, Dr. Solanki joined the College as a Lecturer and later became Head of the Department of Chemistry from 1947-1962. The Postgraduate course in Chemistry was started in 1947. He developed the research section of Chemistry department. In 1964, the department was shifted to the present premises. Some of the eminent teachers are: Prof. Dr. J. W. Airan, Prof. Y. S. Chakradev, Prof. Dr. R. N. Merchant, Prof. D. G. Pishwikar, Prof. N. V. Karekar, Prof. Dr. R. V. Shingte, Prof. Dr. N. D. Khanolkar, Prof. Dr. V. S. Darshane, Shri A. V. Rege, Shri. R. N. Joshi, Dr. S. L. Bodas, Shri. M. D. Parnandiwar, Shri Khatavkar, Dr. M. G. Marathe, and Shri V. L. Vaidya.

The research activity restarted by Dr. M. G. Marathey in 1974, however, due to retirement of the staff and establishment of the Shivaji University, the PG Research was shut down. The research in Chemistry is further started in 2013 by initiatives of Principal Dr. V. B. Helavi and Head Dr. V. M. Bhuse. The Department has now become a recognized research centre for M. Phil and Ph. D. and today about 20 students are working for their research in the Department of Chemistry.